Sonntag, 17. Juni 2007

Radio show about internment camps

A reporter talks with one of the former inmates of an internment camp.
-Hello. How are you?
--> I'm fine thanks.
- What can you tell me about your past?
--> When I was young I came with my parents to Los Angeles because my parents worked there in agriculture. In the United States they earned much more money than at home and our lifes got better.
- Where there only andvantages when you came to the USA?
--> No. Of course I missed my friends and my hometown but we had less problems.
- But your situation changed after some time?
--> Yes, the situation changed to the bad side. When the time of the internmet camps started, I often wished to be in Japan. First they told us that wo would be in camps for only short times but I knew that they lied.
- What was life in camp like?
--> We were always hungry and restless but we still had to believe that the camps were "resettlement comunities", not prisons. The rooms were very overcrowded and there was no furniture. We were always under military and police contol. When we didn't do what they wanted us to do, they attaced us.
- Oh these are really bad conditions.
--> Yes, but now it's over and I don't really like to look back.
- Thank you!

Keine Kommentare: